The Democracy Initiative invites applications for Book Fellowships for Assistant Professors in the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at UVA who are working on a book that will contribute to an understanding of democracy. The Fellowships is open to faculty in all disciplines and areas of research. The contribution to the study of democracy can come in many forms, including engagement with artistic traditions and currents, culture, history, literature, politics, policy, philosophy, or the biological and natural sciences, among other areas.
The fellowship will provide support for a one-semester leave (in the form of salary and fringe) during the 2022-23 academic year, $5000 in research funds to support the book project, and support for a book manuscript workshop during which a small group of invited scholars (and potentially the book’s potential or acting editor from a press) will be invited to discuss the work in progress. We encourage applicants to combine this fellowship with their pre-tenure leave so that they can have a year of leave to make significant progress on or complete their book project. Book Fellowship recipients will be expected to do a public presentation about their book project at the Democracy Initiative either during their fellowship semester or afterwards.
To apply for a Book Fellowship, please submit the following materials:
- A description of the book project of no more than 3 pages, with a specific explanation of how it will contribute to an understanding of democracy
- A projected table of contents of the book
- Information on the publication plans for the book, including any existing book contract
- A list of proposed invitees for a book manuscript workshop
- A CV
- A letter of support from the relevant UVA department chair(s) indicating they will grant the semester leave if the Book Fellowship is received by the applicant
- All components of the proposal should be saved in one document (either Word or PDF).
For further information contact:
Democracy Initiative Chief of Staff