Democracy Initiative Student Advisory Council
Applications for the Democracy Initiative Student Advisory Council are currently closed. Applications are planned to reopen in Spring 2021.
About the Student Advisory Council: The Democracy Initiative Student Advisory Council is selected from among undergraduate student applicants in all fields of study at the University of Virginia, and from all backgrounds and schools of thought.
Through scholarship, teaching and engagement – at home and abroad; across sectors and disciplines; with students, faculty, practitioners, and the public – UVA’s Democracy Initiative encourages the practice of democratic citizenship by facilitating a deeper understanding of democratic principles and the realization of a healthy democratic culture. The Student Advisory Council will bring an undergraduate perspective to this work and will facilitate programming that connects the student population with the work of the Democracy Initiative.
During the 2020-2021 Academic Year, the Student Advisory Council will:
- Provide student input on Democracy Initiative objectives and goals.
- Plan and execute at least two student-facing programs related to the Democracy Initiative’s core principles or annual themes.
- Craft a mission, vision, and list of bylaws/guidelines for the Student Advisory Council.
Who Should Apply: The Democracy Initiative seeks to engage students who are passionate, thoughtful, and civic-minded. Diverse perspectives are central to the objectives of the Democracy Initiative, and this is reflected in the Student Advisory Council selections. To this end, the Initiative encourages applications from students in any and all fields of study at the university, and welcomes students from a range of backgrounds and beliefs.
Eligibility: Full time undergraduate students at the University are eligible to serve on the council. Council members must have at least one full academic year remaining in their course of study, to allow them to serve a full term on the council, and must remain in good academic standing with their major departments.
- Council members serve a term of one academic year (fall through spring)
- Council members are expected to attend three to four 1.5 hour meetings per semester
- Attendance as available at Student Advisory Council events or programs
Compensation: Council members are paid a stipend of $500 per semester.