The Democracy Initiative also invites proposals for Democracy Working Groups. These groups should grapple with some of the same issues and questions as the Democracy Labs, but are primarily meant to support the development of collaboration among faculty and students at UVA, in connection with collaborators elsewhere (including scholars and researchers but also potentially practitioners such as artists, journalists, policy-makers, activists, etc.).
Working Group Proposals should include:
- A statement of no more than 3 pages (single-spaced) outlining the central issues and questions that will guide the work of the Working Group, and explaining the key collaborative elements of the Working Group and how collaboration will be pursued
- An outline of proposed activities and a proposed schedule. Within this outline, please indicate projected budget amounts to be devoted to the various activities.
- CVs of the Working Group leaders and proposed core participants
- All components of the proposal should be saved in one document (either Word or PDF).
We invite proposals with budgets from $15,000-$30,000 for one year. Working groups will submit a report on their activities by April 1st, 2023, at which time they can also request a second year of funding at the same level on the basis of the work done during the year. Working Group funding can support:
- Expenses related to on-campus meetings of the Working Group
- Travel/lodging for visitors for events or residencies
- Funding for workshops, symposia or conferences on the Working Group focus
- Travel for UVA Working Group members participating in collaborative research, field visits or meetings in other locations
- Support for graduate students to participate in the Working Group (including research support, stipends, or wages for students offering administrative support)
For further information contact:
Democracy Initiative Chief of Staff